110 volt to 240v

17 Jan 2017 23:22 #1 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
I am looking at getting a Auto topup for my marine tank.

Would it work to get one from USA that runs 110v but it has two plugs.

Could I buy one converter to plug into the main and then plug a extension lead into that converter, to give me potentially four 110v sockets?

Or do I have to buy two converters and run them separately?

The same set up could be used on lights that have white and blue as often they need to have 2 plugs, but do we need two adapters, or just one?

Hope you understand

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jan 2017 03:45 - 18 Jan 2017 03:50 #2 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Whats important is the wattage of each item your going to plug in...

You can run a normal 230V extension lead with say 4 sockets on it to your tank and then use 4 of these items in the link below individually to step down the voltage for your devices...


Note that these ones are rated at 100 Watts MAX....Plug anything that draws more than 100 watts in and it will just blow...

To be honest at £20 sterling per converter its probably not worth it ...The other thing is the import tax that you will more than likely get charged for electrical/electronic items that come from the USA...Customs will grab it and hit you with extra import charges...This is why nobody really buys electrical goods from the USA...When you add on the shipping cost and import charges it usually works out dearer even though the item itself is actually cheaper..
Last edit: 18 Jan 2017 03:50 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jan 2017 15:21 #3 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic 110 volt to 240v
Can I plug just one converter into the wall, connect a 4 way extension to that, and then run the devices, changing the plugs on the devices to a 3 pin to fit the extension as well.

The reason I wonder is that the converters are so big you can't normally plug them in side by side, as they take up so much room.

I was looking at this ad on adverts, and that's why I am asking
But I don't have the room to plug in 2 converters, and they are not drawing much power.

Does that make sense?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jan 2017 15:43 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Hi ,most of the electrical equipment used in varius trades is 110 volt for health and safety reasons , hense you will see the big yellow step down transformers on building sites . Personally i use an auto top up that i got off ebay it works on a sensor instead of a float so wont get covered with salt crystals if used in a marine system . Mine has been on my tank about 6 months without any issue . If my memory serves me right it cost about 60 euro .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum